Friday, June 11, 2010

Johnny gets a tooth

With Jonathon reaching the ripe old age of four months, two weeks, one day and eight and a half hours, I feel like I should start writing some of his amazing accomplishments down. Today he got his first tooth, a tiny sharp white grain of sand blooming on his lower gum. I know every baby follows roughly the same series of development to become a full grown human being but as a new mother it seems like this is the first time any of this has happened in the history of the species. In fact, maybe it is the first time I have ever taken so much notice of the firsts. In some ways I don't even think we pay this much attention to our own firsts as we do the firsts of our children. I am constantly humbled to think he is experiencing things, sights, sounds, smells, emotions and thoughts for the first time and I get to be an audience so many of those a-ha moments in his life. I am very lucky to get an insight as to how he will think for the rest of his life. Maybe that is why our parents know us so well... And now I see his eyes are open and there ends my first entry...