Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sleepyhead


Jonathon has not been sleeping very well lately and it is beginning to wear me down. Although he is very happy and content during the day, for some unknown reason at night he is uncomfortable and sad. I don't think my tolerance for his fussiness would be so low if he had been a bad sleeper since birth. He slept pretty well from about five weeks(when we started his nighttime routine of bath, soft music, a big meal) until I went back to work when he was 3 1/2 months old. We thought we had that aspect of parenting all locked up, ha. Fools we were.
Initially I blamed the shift in his sleep schedule to the adjustment of me returning to work and Ryan staying home with him... then he got a tooth. As the bad nights continued, I attributed it to teething, a heat wave, growth spurt, the air conditioner being too loud, a cold he caught from daycare, rolling over in his crib and starting solid foods. The reasons for his restless night are endless. He is going through some big, exciting changes.
I just need to realize that these days are numbered and when they are gone, they're gone. So I am learning to cherish cuddling up to watch thunderstorms at three in the morning, tiny fingers tickling/pinching my back while he feeds, giggles and songs from the crib early in the morning and hands clutching mine as he falls asleep. These are the moments that dreams are made of, sleep can wait.